WRF-GC (Lin et al., 2020; Feng et al., 2020) is a new, online coupled model based on the the regional meteorology model, WRF, and the chemical transport model, GEOS-Chem. The coupling structure is designed to be easy to use, massively parallel, and ready for the future. In particular, either one of the two parent models to be updated independently. This allows WRF-GC to take full advantage of the updates in WRF and GEOS-Chem, respectively, and stay state-of-the-science.
The development of WRF-GC was led by Haipeng LIN, Xu FENG, and Tzung-May FU. In addition, the GEOS-Chem Support Team provided valuable assistance in updating the GEOS-Chem code to accommodate the coupling.
- Lin, H., Feng, X., Fu, T.-M.*, Tian, H., Ma, Y., Zhang, L., Jacob, D.J., Yantosca, R.M., Sulprizio, M.P., Lundgren, E.W., Zhuang, J., Zhang, Q., Lu, X., Zhang, L., Shen, L., Guo, J., Eastham, S.D., Keller, C.A. (2020), WRF-GC (v1.0): online coupling of WRF (v18.104.22.168) and GEOS-Chem (v12.2.1) for regional atmospheric chemistry modeling – Part 1: Description of the one-way model, Geosci. Model Dev., doi:10.5194/gmd-13-3241-2020, Full text
- Feng, X., Lin, H., and Fu, T.-M.* (2020), WRF-GC: online two-way coupling of WRF and GEOS-Chem for regional atmospheric chemistry modeling, EGU General Assembly 2020, Online, 4–8 May 2020, EGU2020-5165, doi:10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-5165. Link.
The first version of WRF-GC (v1.0) (Lin et al., 2020) was released on January 4, 2019. A more mature and stable version (v 1.0) was released in Fall 2019. This is the current version.
A few notes about the current version (v 1.0):
- The coupling between WRF and GEOS-Chem is one-way only, i.e., there is no feedback from GEOS-Chem to WRF.
- The nested domain capability of WRF is not yet supported.
WRF-GC v 2.0 (Feng et al., 2020), including two-way coupling (chemistry feedback to meteorology) and nested-grid capability is near-mature and will be released in late 2020.
Obtaining the code
If you are interested in downloading WRF-GC and and giving it a spin, please send us an email (fuzm AT sustech DOT edu DOT cn) and tell us your name, affiliation, and intended general application. We will add you to a mailing list and keep you updated on new version releases.
Model description paper of WRF-GC (v1.0). Accepted for publication in Geoscientific Model Development
The 9th International GEOS-Chem Meeting (IGC9)
Slides for the WRF-GC model clinic This is a step-by-step tutorial on how to run WRF-GC
Starter kit for use in the WRF-GC model clinic This is a package of an example simulation using WRF-GC to be used with the tutorial above.
If you encounter any problems running WRF-GC or have suggestions for model improvements, please email us (fuzm AT sustech DOT edu DOT cn).
- This page was last modified on 16 July 2020, at 13:50.
- This page has been accessed 6,091 times.